Back in March I wrote this post about getting in shape before I turn 50 in November. In true to Kim fashion, I waited til June to get started. But here’s the thing… I got started!! On June 5 I started my new life as a healthier person…physically and otherwise. This photo was taken in May when I was JUST about at my maximum weight of 295. Do I hate this picture? Heck no! It’s one of my all time favorites! I used it for a profile picture on social media for about 2 months because it’s the closest thing I’ve ever come to a serious face without looking like I’m about to take someone’s head off. I say that to let you know that I didn’t start this because I was unhappy with my appearance or because I have body issues. Quite the contrary, actually. I probably SHOULD be more concerned with my size… then things wouldn’t have gotten quite so out of hand!
Fast Forward Three Months
- I stopped drinking coffee.
- I stopped adding sugar to things.
- I stopped eating sweets…unless I had a REALLY good reason and a plan.
- I started logging my food in the Noom app.
- I started looking at why I was eating what I was eating.
- I started planning out my meals.
- I started planning out my days.
- I started planning out my week.
- I started planning out my LIFE.
- I started drinking a LOT more water.
- I drank more water, when I thought I had had enough.
- I started eating more salad.
- I started eating SPINACH in my salad.
- I started eating spinach salad.
- I started walking to the corner.
- I started walking to the end of the street.
- I started walking around the block.
- I got my bike out of storage.
- I got padded bike shorts.
- I found a gym buddy.
- I went back in the gym.
- I went back in the gym daily.
- I went back in the gym by MYSELF!
- I started doing the Planet Fitness challenges.
- I started doing TWO of the PF challenges.
- I got on the treadmill and started walking.
- I got on the elliptical and started walking.
- I got on the recumbent bike and started riding.
- And riding.
- And…. riding.
- I started working out with free weights.
- I started working out on the machines.
- I. DID. PUSHUPS.
- AND I did the assisted pullup machine!!
- I found out that I like juice.
- Even juice with vegetables in it.
- Even juice with ginger • apple • kale • spinach • cucumber • parsley • lemon in it.
- And especially juice with carrot • apple • pineapple • mint • ginger • lemon in it.
- I figured out that I don’t hate to sweat… as long as I’m working out.
- I figured out that I am strong.
- I figured out that I don’t hate being active.
- I got a FitBit from a friend. 🙂
- I upgraded to a different FitBit and passed the love (aka the original FitBit) along to a friend.
- I started getting my nails done again.
- I started going to births again.
- I started blogging again.
Now… why do I have 46 things on this list? Because I’ve lost 46 pounds. I’m SO close to that 50 pound goal that I CAN literally taste it. It’s been work. It’s been HARD work some days. There are days when I still don’t see the difference. There are days when I look in the mirror and don’t see any change at all. (Remember I have that problem of not having a negative self image? LOL)
In the words of Jason Mraz, “I am a work in progress. I’m a bit of a rough draft. I’m not done yet. I’m not final. I am a work in progress. I’ve got a few pages left. I’m still writing this self-titled track.”
So the point of all this is… if I can do it, so can you. There is no magic pill. There is no prescription for instant anything. There is work. There is dedication. There is living your life in a way that you can say at the end of the day, “I did the darned thing.”
Four more pounds… (Then we start on the next chapter!!)